The name of SAINT-MAXIMIN appeared for the first time in 828. It grouped together the villages of TROSSY, LAVERSINE, CANNEVILLE, LES HAIES, LA GRANDE FOLIE, and PORT SAINT-LEU.
Throughout the high Middle Ages, up to the end of the 9th century, the few buildings that were erected re-used stone from Gallo-Roman buildings. The only evidence of quarrying in the area is from the manufacture of sarcophaguses from the soft stone of Saint-Leu.
Open cast quarrying began on the banks of the River Oise but it went underground as soon as the embankments raised from the quarrying became too big. It didn’t really become open quarrying again until the arrival of mechanical excavators in the 19th century.
The 12th century saw a new age of construction begin with stone castles replacing wood fortresses (SENS – 1130, St.-DENIS – 1135, SENLIS – 1153, NOTRE DAME de PARIS – 1163). Religious fervor encouraged the construction of numerous churches and cathedrals. The Ile-de-France gave birth to a new style of architecture: gothic.