New, bigger quarries opened at SAINT MAXIMIN in 1607. But they had to wait for the end of the 30 Years War (1606-1636), the accession of Louis XIV and the “classical” age (1650-1750) for the 4th craze for using stone from Saint-Maximin and Saint-Leu in Parisian monuments such as, the Louvre, the Invalides, the Bourbon Palace, the Hotel de Lassais, the Hotel d’Evreux, the military school, the Place de la Concorde, and others, including Versailles.
The Parisian quarries no longer had enough stone for these big sites and anyway architects preferred the limestone from the quarries of the Oise because it was soft, easy to work and gave greater block heights.
In 1678 Colbert’s quarry inventory noted that all the quarries of Trossy, Saint-Maximin ad Saint-Leu were underground.
In 1744 open cast quarrying reappeared on the banks.